Cerebral Palsy and A Life Worth Celebrating

In 1946, on December 20th, George Stonewall Chapman III was born in Chapmanville, West Virginia to my uncle Bud Chapman and his wife, Betty. They would soon learn that “Junior,” the affectionate nick name their baby was given, was born with Cerebral Palsy that would hinder his development.

I was always impressed with how much love was shown to Junior by his Mom and Dad as well as his sister, Julia. More important, God was honored by how well they cared for him for the 21 years of his life.

Recently I began to recall Junior and the times I was blessed to be near him. His demeanor was so sweet and though unable to use words he seemed to communicate with his smile and the sounds he made that resembled a song melody.

As I remembered Junior I was moved to write a song and create a video to honor his memory. I hope it will remind all who see it, especially those who care for loved ones who are similar to Junior, that each of us have great value.

“Junior”/written by Steve Chapman/Times & Seasons Music/BMI/2013 (song not yet available as a single song download)

Comments

1. What a touching tribute to Junior. Another beautiful song!

2. Wow. Great song!

3. A very beautiful song and video…many of us have a “Junior” in our lives! A great tribute!

• Steve and Annie says:

Rick, we appreciate hearing from you. And yes, God knows how to teach us about His unconditional love! Blessings to you and your family.
      SChapman

4. Steve, I have always had a soft spot and desire to connect with the “Juniors” in this world. It feels so warm when they smile, give you a hug so pure and try to say “I love you.” Thanks my dear friend Steve… This is very touching… Dave

• Steve and Annie says:

Dave, Junior’s love was indeed of the purest kind. Your comment is one of the reasons we’re glad we know you!! Thanks for connecting. SC

5. Randy Nordin says:

Steve. Very beautiful song. Love the words and the vocal.

Randy/Peggy

6. mike mccartney says:

Steve, as an RN I came in contact with many such as Junior in my clinic. some in electric wheelchairs some in parents arms but all loved and appreciated for the special gift of our Heavenly Father. Sometimes I would remark. “You know this body is just a vehicle that carries us around and we are only issued one in life. When the vehicle runs out of gas the driver steps out and begins walking. That is what Eternity will be like. We will just step out of the vehicle and walk on to be with our Lord. May the Lord grant your dear family and any “Juniors” out there a blessed time of HIS PRESCENCE this season. Mike McCartney N. Calif.
    Mike McCartney N. Calif,

• Steve and Annie says:

Mike, how encouraging your words are to all who are caring for someone like Junior in their lives. The imagery in the vehicle/driver illustration is excellent. Thanks for sharing them with us. Blessings to you and yours! S&A

7. Some of my very favorite people in the world are like Jr. in many ways. I don’t know if I made one bit of difference in their life but they sure made a big difference in mine.
    Thanks so much for sharing.

Dennis

• Steve and Annie says:

Dennis,
      What a true observation. We appreciate it. No doubt all those who read your honest comment will feel the same!
      S&A

8. Patti Bell says:

We had a “junior” in our church who went to our church. He went home this year. He was 25 years old. We also have Paul who is 25 years old, who wasn’t supposed to live to one, and we have Daniel, who is 25 years old. He is my nephew and is special needs. They love going to church. I also miss the smile and the heart of our Christopher.

• Steve and Annie says:

Patti,
      And now the “Junior” you knew at your church is standing tall near God’s throne. Paul and Daniel are great names for these two young men. May God bless them as they bless others with their lives! Thanks for writing!
      S&A

9. You are awesome steve! So touching for me to see the joy my family had with Junior. The same joy I share with my lil man Zach. Thank you!

• Steve and Annie says:

Misti,
      Thank you. So glad you liked the song and video.
      It was an honor to do it. We love you and are
      proud of how you’ve loved Zach. You, your folks, and
      your grandparents are truly remarkable people in
      our hearts. Blessings to you.
      S&A